Monday, June 10, 2013

There's Life After Facebook...

Sorry Zuckerberg.

I had connection to some 400 people or so on Facebook.  Not real connections to all of them.  Good connections to some of them.  But as I stated in my last blog I made the decision yesterday morning to deactivate my account, a decision I'd been mulling over for a little while..  I'd found myself happily in bed with another social network that was meeting my needs above and beyond anything Facebook had offered me...  And I'd been withdrawing from the relationship ever since.. Until yesterday, when, like ripping off a band aid, I finalised the divorce..

And there's life after Facebook.

My wife is a bit sad that her status now only says married, but she has come to terms with it.. I think..

She also stated that no one would read this blog, a fear I shared at the time, but as stated.. It was about me getting how I felt out, not about who was reading it..

But apparently, y'all still like to read it!  Have appreciated both the page views and the odd ad click over the past 36 hours since deactivation..

I'm enjoying making new friends too, on Google+.  I find the tone over there to be more mature, deeper and generally positive compared to Facebook.. The moment someone asks a question in a community, people provide whatever help they can, and sometimes I've been the one able to provide that help!  I've found it stimulating to my brain, rather than mind-numbing..

I distinctly remember a moment about 7 years ago, when I was involved in the Unley Summer of Music Program, a musician friend of mine happened to be at the venue I was playing at, and in discussion I'd mentioned MySpace in passing - to which she responded "It's all Face to Face with Facebook now!"...  It's funny what sticks with you, hey!

I don't think I'm alone in suggesting that a lot of Facebook became faceless..

So it's time for a new start.. It's all Plus with G+?

Yeah it's okay, I'm not going into marketing any time soon.. ;)

But have a look.. It's not the ghost town it used to be, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with what you find..

You too, may find life after Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment