Sunday, July 14, 2013

It's time to begin.. Isn't it..


I'm just the same as I was.. I hope you understand.. I'm never changing who I am.. 

1:30am.  Watching the Ashes.. Enjoying that Australia are at least in my view slightly in front!  

But it is still Test Cricket,  and leaves much time for contemplation! 

I've enjoyed over the past 6 weeks working in the Council environment I feel most at home in. I've got another couple of days next week in another department and then hopefully on to the next challenge.. 

It's been nice to be me. 

When I went back I'll admit I was a little concerned how much I'd remember - it'd been 4 months or so since I'd worked in that area, and 5 weeks since I'd worked full stop.. But with what has become to be a recognised ability, I picked it up again and did my job to the best of my ability.. Received much thanks and appreciation.. 

And on to the next challenge.. 

I like being the go to guy brought in to fix up an issue, cover leave, clear up a back log.. 

But it can be challenging when the demands outside work want more of a commitment than I'm being given.. 

It's interesting watching the ads currently running for the Unions showing the impact short term contracts, unpaid overtime expectations and call ins have on families.. Yet again, on the ground it's said that we value family.. 

It's time to begin.. Isn't it.. 

How do we do that?  Old fashioned values?  That is never well accepted by a new generation.  

No, we have a simple answer.. 

Treat others how you'd like to be treated.  If you wouldn't like a lack of commitment to you, give commitment to others.  If you like to be home for dinner, make sure others can too.. Or honour the sacrifice with fair recompense.  If you want the day off for family events, or the ability to plan events in advance, give fair notice and flexibility to those around you. 

I'm not talking rocket science here folks.. It's called common decency. 

It seems to have been the biggest casualty of the global financial crisis.. 

It's time to revive it.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment