Saturday, December 28, 2013

To the faithful, departed..

How was everyone's Christmas?  Mine was good.. Drove back to Mount Gambier Christmas Eve, first time since we moved to Adelaide, lots of family time... Good times, and a big public thanks to my little brother for putting up with the chaos that is having a family of 5 stay for a couple of days!

This year, the end of year had a few added significant moments... As I said in my previous post, my Dad passed away 5 years ago, and a few weeks ago we gathered as sons with our children to bury his ashes in the same garden that his Mum and Dad were buried.. A touching moment, followed by a lunch that I think would've made Dad proud, gathered at a nearby restaurant..

Part of the journey back to the Mount was to also select a location for the plaque to honour Dad.   That'll come soon enough, and a big thank you to my brother for his work in organising that.  I think Dad again would be happy with what has and will transpire there.

Being in a cemetery is always a moment for contemplation.. Amongst us, we knew too many people buried there.   Most young people, taken far too early, in different ways, but none any less tragic than the other.   People overwhelmed by life who took the only way out they could see.  Illnesses that struck down young, fit people.   A handful of vehicle accidents...   The last one strikes close to home - the first coffin I ever carried belonged to a 15 year old friend taken in a car accident..  I took the opportunity to visit her final resting place and take a moment..

So at this time, where I have been blessed to have time with my family, my thoughts turn to those who haven't been so fortunate.. Be it a loss experienced long ago, or the tragic passings that have occured recently...

We remember you.  May you find comfort in a difficult time.

No comments:

Post a Comment